Libya’s National Oil Corp warns of dangers at oil portsNews


CAIRO (Reuters) – The chairman of Libya’s National Oil Corp (NOC) on Saturday warned of the risk of disaster at the country’s oil ports due to a growing military presence with storage tanks kept full capacity for months due to a blockade.

“The oil ports are closed, exports are stopped. So if these overloaded tanks were attacked or exposed to fire or high temperature, it would lead to massive disaster, ”President Mustafa Sanalla said in a video message.

Eastern forces in the civil war have halted energy exports since January, resulting in the shutdown of most production and the filling of storage tanks.

After the last episode of war in June, the NOC said mercenaries had moved into oil fields and ports held by eastern forces.

The company, which is based in Tripoli in western Libya, the seat of the internationally recognized government of national agreement (GNA), previously said the closure caused major technical problems in fields and ports.

Sanalla, whose video message was posted on the NOC website, compared the disaster risk to Tuesday’s explosion in Beirut, where the Lebanese government said a fire ignited 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate left unsecured in port for years, killing dozens and injuring people. thousands.

Report by Samar Hassan in Cairo; edited by Angus McDowall and Jonathan Oatis

Our standards:Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

The post Libya’s National Oil Corp warns of dangers at oil portsNews appeared first on USNewsRank.

  • Leave a Reply