Person jumps from flat block inferno after huge explosion


A drone captures the enormous scale of the damage at the block of flats (Picture: LNP)

A person was seen jumping from a second-floor window to escape a raging fire caused by a ‘huge explosion’ at a block of flats.

Footage shows flames and plumes of smoke erupt from the building in Redwood Grove, Bedford, as fire engines showered the blaze with water.

At least two people have been injured, one seriously, in the explosion which obliterated most of the block.

The emergency services have urged people to avoid the area and keep their windows and doors closed.

A neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, said they saw the resident jump from the burning building.

‘I heard the explosion from my house round the corner,’ she said.

‘I walked to town and saw the flames and also witnessed someone jump from the second-floor window while flames were blaring out.’

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

It is a miracle there were only two injuries from the explosion (Picture: LNP)
A huge fire erupted at the block of flats in Bedford (Picture: UKNIP)
Neighbours watch the inferno tear through the flats (Picture: Metro)
Fire chiefs declared a ‘major incident’ at the Bedford block of flats (Picture: SWNS)
Firefighters now have the fire under control (Picture: PA)
The gas blast destroyed the upper floors at the block (Picture: PA)
The fire gutted the roof at the block of flats (Picture: Sky News)

Adam Fisher rushed outside his office after hearing the ‘huge explosion’ and witnessed the ‘inferno’.

The 37-year-old sales worker said: ‘A huge explosion was heard – everyone went to our work car park to see what was happening.

‘Our building is adjacent to the apartment complex – immediately an inferno (was) visible, huge smoke cloud billowing, people screaming and people frantically calling for emergency services.’

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the fire was caused by a gas explosion.

It said: ‘There are currently 6 appliances, 2 water carriers, an incident command unit at the scene.

‘Please avoid the area and keep windows and doors closed.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@usnewsrank.com.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

  • Leave a Reply