Texas high school shooter, 18, arrested after ‘injuring four people’ and leading cops on manhunt

Arlington police identified the suspect of the Timberview High School shooting as a student, Timothy George Simpkins (right) (Picture: Fox 4/Arlington Police Department)

A manhunt for a shooter who injured at least four people at a Texas high school has ended with police arresting 18-year-old student Timothy George Simpkins.

Detectives are interviewing Simpkins, who will be charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, said Arlington Assistant Police Chief Kevin Kolbye on Wednesday afternoon, according to CNN.

The shooting at Timberview High School in the morning left four people injured, including two people who were shot and three who were hospitalized. All three of the victims in the hospital are expected to survive, including a male student who underwent surgery, Kolbye said.

Arlington police identified the suspect as Simpkins and were asking for the public’s help in tracking him down.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5

‘We are looking for a shooting suspect in today’s incident at @mansfieldisd Timberview School,’ the Arlington Police Department tweeted shortly after noon on Wednesday.

‘Please call 911 if you know the whereabouts of 18-year old Timothy George Simpkins who may be driving a 2018 Silver Dodge Charger with license plate PFY-6260.’

Two of the people injured sustained gunshot wounds, said Kolbye, adding he did not know the extent of the injuries.

The high school located on the 7000 block of South Watson Road was placed on lockdown amid reports of an active shooter.

Timberview High School In Arlington was locked down amid reports of a possible shooting (Pictures: Fox 4/CBSN)

A person who claimed to be a teacher at the high school, but whose identity has not been confirmed, posted on social media that ‘shots were fired just down the hall from our classroom’, according to CBS DFW.

The Mansfield Independent School District, which oversees the high school, said in a statement that students and staff were ‘locked in their classrooms/offices’. 

Arlington police officials confirmed that officers from its force as well as the school district, the Mansfield Police Department and Grand Prairie Police Department were conducting a ‘methodical search’ of the high school.

Multiple law enforcement agencies responded to the high school around 9.30am local time, according to DFW Scanner, and the suspect was reported to have fled in a Dodge Charger.

A CBS 11 chopper recorded footage of heavy police activity and dozens of people outside the campus.

The school district set up a reunification location for parents to pick up their children at the Center for Performing Arts at 1110 West Debbie Lane. Students were to be transported by bus to the location when the school was secured, cops said.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at news@usnewsrank.com.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

  • Leave a Reply