Two men who murdered an innocent woman in a drive-by shooting at a wake have been jailed for more than 60 years.
Mum-of two Michelle Sadio, 44, was gunned down outside a wake at the River of Life Pentecostal Church in Willesden, north London, on December 14, 2024.
Perry Allen-Thomas, 27, and Amir Salem, 20, were found guilty of murder and two counts of attempted murder in relation to two other people who were wounded following a trial at the Old Bailey.
Judge Mrs Justice McGowan jailed both men for life at the same court today, ordering they serve minimum terms of at least 38 and 26 years respectively.
Ms Sadio had been among around 100 mourners, including children as young as five, to attend the wake for Dianne Boatong, 80.
At around 9pm, guests were outside on the pavement when a black Kia pulled up and shots were fired into the crowd.
Ms Sadio, a legal administrator, was hit and died at the scene.
Her widower, Jean-Marie Sadio, told her killers he forgives them over her killing and told them ‘it is not too late’ for them to change the course of their lives.
In a powerful victim impact statement, he said: ‘The ones who were behind what happened that night can never know what they have done. I have forgiven them because the future has to be my focus for the sake of my children.
‘I cannot have our son and daughter growing up with hatred in their hearts and bitterness for something they don’t have any power to fix.’
Latest London news
- How gangs are targeting Londoners on nights out by drugging and robbing them
- I went to Magnolia Bakery in the UK — one item is worth the hype
- New Tube strike dates announced after May walkout cancelled at 11th hour
To get the latest news from the capital, visit Metro’s London news hub.
Addressing the defendants in the dock, he said: ‘Today, you stand guilty before all but, most importantly, you stand forgiven. Do not burden yourself with guilt but an unquenchable and determined desire to change. If you succeed in this, you would have repaid society.
‘Amir and Perry, please use time to reflect, choose wisely and become – become the dream your parents and loved ones always longed for you to be. Their pain must also be unspeakable.’
Transport for London contractor Kenneth Amoah, 39, was hit in the back and paralyzed below the waist, and self-employed Kadeem Francis, 32, was shot in the foot.
The intended target was said to have been a rapper called Trapstar Toxic, real name Adetokunbo Ajibola, 33, who was at the event.
Allen-Thomas, from Wembley, north London, was said to have helped organize the shooting but ensured he was elsewhere at the time.
The Kia used in the attack had been stolen and was being driven with false number plates.
Salem, from Wembley, had bought some of the petrol used to set the vehicle on fire after the shooting, jurors heard.
On the night of the shooting, Salem was in contact with the Kia occupants and reported back to Allen-Thomas.
At least four shots were fired, although it was not known who in the Kia pulled the trigger.
The prosecution had alleged two of the men in the Kia had fled the country after the incident.
The weapon used in the shooting had been used twice before in the previous few months, and was said to be a ‘gang gun’.
In one of the earlier incidents, the occupant of a car opened fire on a group of males outside a pizzeria, discharging 11 rounds and hitting one person in the ankle.
There was no suggestion the defendants were involved.
During the trial, the defendants denied being involved in any way or knowing anything about the incident.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@usnewsrank.com.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Discover more from USNewsRank
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.