An asylum seeker who was accused of sexual assaults on a pair of teenage girls escaped from a health facility yesterday, according to reports.
The Daily Mail said 22-year-old Pirouz Mofrad, was on the run overnight before being tracked down today.
He was reportedly on a Sexual Risk Order when he made off from the facility in Bexhill, East Sussex, on Wednesday morning.
It is understood he was a resident of the facility and was not in custody at the time of his escape.
Sussex Police later confirmed he had been arrested in London.
Sign up for all of the latest stories
Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.
The story is the latest to present serious questions about the ability of the justice system to keep potentially dangerous individuals away from the public.
Yesterday, it was reported that two men – Brahim Kaddour-Cherif and Billy Smith – had been accidentally released from HMP Wandsworth in south London.
Smith has since handed himself back into the prison, but Kaddour-Cherif remains on the run.
Both incidents came less than two weeks after former asylum seeker and convicted sex offender Hadush Kebatu was mistakenly freed when he was due to be deported.
Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy said he was ‘absolutely outraged and appalled’ by the release of Kaddour-Cherif.
He said: ‘Victims deserve better and the public deserve answers.
‘That is why I have already brought in the strongest checks ever to clamp down on such failures and ordered an independent investigation, led by Dame Lynne Owens to uncover what went wrong and address the rise in accidental releases which has persisted for too long.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@usnewsrank.com.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Discover more from USNewsRank
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
