Reform UK is hiring a ‘vetting officer’ after a swathe of its newly elected councillors left their posts.
A job ad accessible via the party’s website says Reform is looking for a ‘meticulous and highly organized’ candidate to ‘carry out background checks, social media audits, and reputational risk assessments on prospective candidates standing for election under the Reform UK banner.’
Responsibilities include conducting ‘background checks, social media reviews, and due diligence on prospective candidates’, identifying and assessing ‘reputational risks, escalating serious concerns to senior leadership, and maintaining ‘accurate, confidential records of all vetting activity.’
According to the advert, the role is based in Westminster, and another ad for the same vacancy on the website w4pm.org lists the salary as £32,000-£40,000.
Sign up for all of the latest stories
Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.
Reform won more than 1,400 seats in the local elections earlier this month, but it has already lost 22 councillors in the two weeks since.
Stuart Prior, who was elected to Essex County Council and Rochford District Council, resigned on May 11, just days after he won the seats.
Before the elections, it was found that Prior had shared racist posts on social media, in which he referred to white people as ‘the master race’ with larger brains.’
Less than a week after being elected, Glenn Gibbins was similarly suspended from Sunderland City Council after he suggested the city’s Nigerian residents should be melted down to ‘fill in potholes.’
Speaking on BBC’s Politics North, deputy leader of Durham County Council Darren Grimes said the incident had been ‘a failure of the vetting process’.
Gibbins apologized, writing: ‘A number of years ago, prior to standing for election and before joining Reform UK, I made a series of posts on my personal Facebook profile which were intended as jokes, but were made in extremely poor taste and with poor judgement.
‘I fully recognize that these comments were entirely inappropriate and I sincerely apologize to anyone who may have been offended by them. The posts do not reflect my personal beliefs or values, and I regret both the language used and the offense caused.
‘My focus is fully on serving the residents who elected me, and I remain committed to representing the people of Hylton Castle Ward to the best of my ability.’
Others who have managed to hold onto their posts have made some rather bold demands during their first few weeks in office – including requesting a safety committee to investigate unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP) – also known as UFOs – at Doncaster airport.
Meanwhile, Robert Kenyon, the party’s candidate running against Andy Burnham in Makerfield, was revealed by Metro to have made some rather provocative posts on the social media platform X before his account was suspended.
These included asking: ‘Is it a hate crime for Asian men walk round in Birmingham assaulting white people en masse [sic]?’.
He also replied to a tweet by Owen Jones calling the rioters a ‘massive danger’, Kenyon wrote on August 9: ‘Let’s me honest Owen, there was never a threat from the far right because they don’t really exist.’
It is not abnormal for would-be political candidates to be vetted before they stand – it could be that the timing of this vacancy is a coincidence.
But given Reform’s recent track record, they could probably do with finding someone to fill the role sooner rather than later.
Metro has contacted Reform UK for comment.
Discover more from USNewsRank
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
