A teenage girl was abducted and held at knifepoint in a van until passersby heard her screams.
The 15-year-old was declared missing from the leafy Cheshire village of Bowdon two hours after vanishing on Monday.
She was allegedly snatched at ‘random’ as she ‘walked alone’ on at 6.40pm on Bradgate Road, just minutes away from the Dunham Country Club, where homes can fetch more than £2million.
A witness was able to report the suspect’s registration plate having heard the girl’s screams.
The vehicle was tracked down to Cotton’s hotel car park, a 15-minute drive away by police.
Sign up for all of the latest stories
Start your day informed with Metro’s News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.
The teenager was inside and a man, described as 56-year-old white male, was arrested at the scene.
Cllr Lisa Hancock for Bowdon Ward said onFacebook: ‘Like many residents, I was deeply shocked and disturbed to hear about the frightening incident involving a teenage girl in our community earlier this week.
‘My thoughts are with the young girl and her family following what must have been an incredibly traumatic experience. No one should ever have to endure something like this, and I know many parents across Bowdon and Altrincham will feel understandably shaken by what has happened.
‘I want to thank the members of the public whose quick thinking and actions helped police respond so swiftly, as well as Greater Manchester Police and Cheshire Police for their work in locating the victim safely and making an arrest.’
In a statement, Greater Manchester Police said: ‘Officers working alongside Cheshire Police have arrested a man on suspicion of abduction after a teenage girl was reported missing on Monday 18 May in Altrincham.
‘A 56-year-old man was arrested in the early hours of 19 May and remains in custody for further questioning.
‘Specialist officers are supporting the girl and her family. There is no wider risk to the public. Further updates will be provided when appropriate.’
The man arrested was a white male, Greater Manchester Police said.
Detectives have been granted an extension to keep the suspect in custody for further questioning.
It is understood the incident is being treated as random and that the teenager is not known to the suspect.
Discover more from USNewsRank
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
